SQL92/Crystal Reports

Matt Russell

Hello,

I'm using Crystal Reports 8 Pro to access a Progress 9.1B database on an NT Server. Everything's going along pretty well, but I've just a couple of questions.

#1 - :sleep: - Some of these reports access a reasonably large number of records (+700,000 records), and Crystal takes over an hour to sift through it all. Within Crystal, all the server-side options are turned on (IE, Perform grouping on server, etc). The Progress server isn't anything flash (PIII-900, 128Mb SDRAM, etc), but to my thinking it should really be able to handle that sort of data quite easily. Is there anything within Progress that may be slowing down the process (apart from the lack of RAM on the server)? Any ideas?

#2 - :confused: - A number of these Crystal Reports are distributed via the company intranet, which is working very well, with only one minor hitch. I'm using the Merant ODBC driver from the Progress Client Utilities to create a DSN, and using the good ol' Sysprogress UserID. The problem lies in the fact that there's no way to embed the ODBC authentication into the Crystal report, which means that the users have to enter it whenever they run the report, and, let's face it, Sysprogress isn't the most intuitive username. Does anyone know how to have the SQL92 interface work with a different UserID? Either that, or how to set the SysProgress UserID up with a blank password? Whenever I try that, SysProgress can't authenticate (Even with Allow Null Passwords turned on).

Thanks!

Matt Russell
Shine Roche McGowan Solicitors
QLD, Australia