SQL Server 2008 connected to PROGRESS Version 9.1E04 via Linked Server

PKK

Hi everyone,

To start with, I am getting into Progress DB world as I have a very specific need and I hope that you can help me out.

I have a customer who is running their bankin application (Pro*Banks) with PROGRESS 9.1E04. They are planning to use some sort of middleware (3rd party software) for their different front ends and they need to use the information stored in PROGRESS DB.

The situation is that the middleware does not support PROGRESS 9.1E according to the documentations of the product. However, SQL Server 2008 is supported by the middleware.

Finally I found this forum and found out that I can configure Linked Server under SQL Server 2008 and manage PROGRESS DB as SQL Server DB, is that right? So I can SLECT, INSERT, UPDATE and DELETE on PROGRESS DB through Linked Server Configuration.

Thanks and the best regards.
for

RealHeavyDude

Progress does provide an ODBC/JDBC driver that supports SQL92. But you need to be aware that Progress 9.1E compared with SQL Server 2008 is stone age software. It is some 10 years old and as Progress was beginning to seriously support SQL92 with Progress V9 (which came out around 1998 IIRC) it sucks more or less in Progress V9. You should upgrade to the recent OpenEdge 10 release (Progress rebranded it OpenEdge 10 instead of keeping it named Progress V10).

As the Progress database is no SQL database in the first place you need to set it up on the database: Start a secondary login broker supporting the SQL clients and configure the SQL security. You will find tons of post on this forum when you search for these terms.

Heavy Regads, RealHeavyDude.