SQL Connectivity in a MongoDB World

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

Sumit Sarkar

Sumit Sarkar,Cheif Data Evangelist, Progress DataDirect

Sumit Sarkar recaps his experience at MongoDB World 2015 and announces further support for NoSQL with open data standards.

Over the last month, I’ve been on the road gathering feedback from Business Intelligence (BI) professionals around NoSQL connectivity with open data standards across ODBC, JDBC and OData. I wrapped up the DataDirect NoSQL BI evangelism tour this week in New York City at MongoDBWorld. One of the NoSQL database technologies we’ve been talking about is MongoDB during this tour, so it’s really exciting to hear a direct response at MongoDBWorld on plans to expand support for SQL connectivity for BI in the future!

DataDirect MongoDB ODBC and JDBC connectors will continue to pick up the latest enhancements from MongoDB such as support for the aggregation framework discussed at MongoDBWorld ’14. And we’ll continue to leverage future enhancements such as the improved SQL experience announced at MongoDBWorld ’15.

Elevating MongoDB with ODBC/JDBC

Adoption for MongoDB is growing across the enterprise and disrupting existing business intelligence, analytics and data integration infrastructure. During my MongoDB World session, “Elevate MongoDB with ODBC/JDBC,” I wanted to show my audience how to disrupt that disruption using ODBC and JDBC access to MongoDB for instant out-of-box integration with existing infrastructure to elevate and expand your organization’s MongoDB footprint. The discussion topics included common challenges and “gotchas” that shops face when exposing unstructured and semi-structured data using these established data connectivity standards. Existing infrastructure requirements should not dictate developers’ freedom of choice in a database.

@SAsInSumit explaining how #DataDirect can use #ODBC and #JDBC with #MongoDB pic.twitter.com/ukuytmnUYc

— Idaliz Baez (@Idaliz_Baez) June 1, 2015

During the Q&A portion of my presentation, I got a lot of great questions, but there were a few that stuck out:

How do you prevent runaway queries on operational MongoDB databases? Do you support the aggregation framework?

Yes, DataDirect does support the aggregation framework.

When querying data from the logical, normalized data model exposed by DataDirect MongoDB ODBC and JDBC clients, the driver sends a single optimized query to MongoDB even if SQL join are executed, as long as it’s within a single collection. The drivers are further optimized with support for the aggregate framework. In cases where MongoDB query API does not support an operation (such as cross collection joins), the driver will perform the work and has been enhanced to handle even larger data sets in the latest versions (Summer ’15).

For operational systems, the considerations for SQL access are really no different than those for native MongoDB queries. Further, the driver can be configured to connect to secondary servers using the “Read Preference” connection property.

What are best practices for changing data models?

DataDirect connectors establish a logical, normalized data model at the time of connection based on sampling a configurable portion of the database. If new requirements arise and the data model changes significantly, I recommended that you refresh the data model across both BI servers and client metadata modeling tools.

Our R&D team attended MongoDB World as well, and is investigating the latest technologies that can help solve this problem.

DataDirect’s vast partner ecosystem on display at MongoDBWorld

One of the best things about events like MongoDB is the opportunity to learn about the latest technologies from DataDirect partners. Many of our partners—CA, Teradata and Tibco to name a few–co-sponsored the show with us. I really enjoyed seeing live demos for MongoDB analytics powered by the DataDirect MongoDB JDBC driver from the Jaspersoft team.

Fun crowd at @Jaspersoft booth watching demo of #JDBC access to MongoDB using #DataDirect #MongoDBWorld pic.twitter.com/SL6SVDuoUa

— Sumit Sarkar (@SAsInSumit) June 2, 2015

Later in the show, our friends from Tableau had a live demo, during which they recommended our currently available Progress DataDirect drivers for connectivity to MongoDB. There were some announcements during the keynote for possible Tableau integration in the future, but I cannot comment any further on that.

Great session at #MongoDBWorld with @tableau recommending #DataDirect MongoDB #ODBC for #dataviz pic.twitter.com/TyvQtP0f8v

— Sumit Sarkar (@SAsInSumit) June 2, 2015

Talk to us about MongoDB connectivity

If you missed the show, make sure you don’t miss out! Contact us to learn more about SQL access to MongoDB, or pick up a free trial of our MongoDB ODBC/JDBC drivers.

DataDirect drivers will continue to support the latest features of MongoDB including recent additions to the MongoDB aggregation framework and we’ll continue to improve on the SQL experience with our commercial connectors that are generally available today.

Author information

sumit-sarkar-w75.jpg
Sumit Sarkar

Senior Principal Systems Engineer, Progress DataDirect at Progress

Data Access Evangelist, Speaker and World's leading consultant on open data standards for cloud data.

Sumit Sarkar has been working in the data connectivity field for 10 years. His interests include performance tuning of the data access layer for which he has developed a patent pending technology for its analysis; business intelligence and data warehousing for SaaS platforms; and data connectivity for aPaaS environments - with a focus on standards such as ODBC, JDBC, ADO.NET, and ODATA.

He is an IBM Certified Consultant for IBM Cognos Business Intelligence and TDWI member.

He has presented sessions on data connectivity at various conferences including IUC34, IUC35, Progress Revolution, Oracle User's Group, Collaborate 12, Dreamforce 2012, Cloud Computing Expo 2012, PRGS13 Exchange, Dreamforce 2013, Oracle OpenWorld 14, PRGS14, DF14

Presented related webinars in collaboration with IOUG, DZone, Progress DataDirect and Progress Communities.

| Twitter | Google+ | LinkedIn |

Continue reading...

Status
Not open for further replies.