Question Shared memory in use.

Reynold

Hello All -

I am Beginner in Progress DB, So could you guys please help me to move forward in my process.
Actually I want to do the truncate BI files for our Test Database which is installed on the same windows drive where the production DB is installed.
I shutdown the Test DB and when running the truncate BI command ..
proutil mytestdb -C truncate bi -bi 4096 -biblocksize 16

I am getting the below error:
OpenEdge Release 10.2B05 as of Tue Sep 6 14:17:14 EDT 2011
Shared memory in use by another process. (1260)

Could you please guide me how can I rectify this Shared Memory issue and move forward with truncate bi command.

I tried doing the prostrct repair as well, but while running the prostrct repair command as well I am getting the same issue of Share memory in use by another process. (1206)

any help will be appreciated.

OpenEdge version, I already mentioned and I am using that on Windows server 2008 R2 Standard.

Thank You,

Last edited:

Rob Fitzpatrick

ProgressTalk.com Sponsor
I am Beginner in Progress DB ... Actually I want to do the truncate BI files for our Test Database which is installed on the same windows drive where the production DB is installed.
This set off alarm bells for me. First, the production environment should be segregated on separate infrastructure from all other environments. The fact that it isn't is a business risk, though not your fault. Also, no disrespect intended, but if you are a beginner you shouldn't be on the production server at all. I have seen a beginner take down a server, running dozens of databases, by typing the wrong OpenEdge command.

If you are experimenting, trying to learn OpenEdge, you should be doing it on a machine that has nothing to do with important business processes, in a database that can be thrown away if you destroy it. If "mytestdb" plays a business-support role, then someone more experienced should be performing maintenance activities, not delegating them to a "beginner".

I shutdown the Test DB
Are you sure? What command line or procedure did you use? Is there a file called mytestdb.lk in the database directory? Can you view the database log file (mytestdb.lg) and see that the shutdown was requested and it completed?

I am getting the below error:
OpenEdge Release 10.2B05 as of Tue Sep 6 14:17:14 EDT 2011
Shared memory in use by another process. (1260)
This is possible if some other process (e.g. a proshut command) was attached to the database at the time it was shut down. To find it, a Windows system administrator would have to run a tool like Process Explorer or Resource Monitor and do a handle search for "mytestdb". If a process was found, either tool would show the handle name. If the database was located in D:\MyDir\mytestdb.db, the handle name would look something like \Sessions\n\BaseNamedObjects\sharemem.d.MyDir.mytestdb.0. They could then kill the process(es) at which point offline maintenance activities could be done.

OpenEdge version, I already mentioned and I am using that on Windows server 2008 R2 Standard.
Observations, more for your organization than for you:
  • Windows Server 2008 R2 is ten years old. Extended support ends in January 2020.
  • OpenEdge 10.2B is about nine and a half years old. It is now in retired status.
  • You are using service pack 5 of 10.2B. The latest service pack is SP08. You are missing many new features and literally hundreds of bug fixes by remaining on an old service pack.
  • Someone should have formulated a plan by now, and be ready to execute it soon, to modernize this application environment.

TomBascom

Curmudgeon
Rob is absolutely correct.

You should not be learning and testing in your production environment. That is a train wreck waiting to happen.

The error that you report is basically telling you that your shutdown command failed. The .lg file corresponding to that database should explain why.

But you really need to be doing this somewhere other than on PROD and especially not on the same drive as the prod db.