Error Session Doesnt Expire After Termination.

Rakesh Kamarthi

In our application built on Progress v6, only one session is permitted for a particular user to access the application. Sometimes the application terminates itself or timeouts for that user when it was kept idle for sometime but there wasnt anything like timeout configured in the system for the users. When users tried to access the application again with their credentials, it gives an error "Only one session is permitted for this user", when PROMON utility is used, we can see the users session is still running. Have to disconnect the user and only then the user is able to relogin again. Is there any permanent fix for this issue.

Progress version : 6

Warm Regards,
RK.

Last edited:

RealHeavyDude

TCP keep-alive setting in the OS.

That is, the database might only recognize that client connection disappeared for whatever reason after the TCP keep-alive times out. On some systems this is set to 30 minutes or it could be much more. You need to find out the setting for your version of Windows and then probably change it.

But I doubt that you will have much success with Progress V6 - it's more than 30 years old software.

Heavy Regards, RealHeavyDude.

Last edited:

Cringer

ProgressTalk.com Moderator
Staff member
You'll also find getting help with V6 very hard indeed as there aren't that many folks who have experience with it.

Cringer

ProgressTalk.com Moderator
Staff member
Older, certainly...
As Groucho Marx said though, you're as old as the woman you feel, and my wife is 5 years younger than me... :cool::cool:

MaLev

Hello,

Your problem is not related to Progress but a large network problem or response time and server / PC, disk access etc .. since it seems important enough duration more than 5 seconds!
This of course if the Server and positions have the same age (26 years), which is likely to run version 6

You can increase TcpMaxDataRetransmissions or KeepAliveInterval or delete the startup parameter -wss, but is it reasonable to good data integrity?
If you can not consider modernizing the whole, give a facelift to the PC and server (formatting, reinstalling, defragmentation ...., dump, load data ....)

KeepAliveTime default 7,200,000 milliseconds (ms)
KeepAliveInterval default 1000 ms
TcpMaxDataRetransmissions default 5 (note windows vista hardcore value 10)

These parameters are all located at the following registry location: \HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Tcpip\Parameters.
On Windows versions which are not based on Windows NT (i.e. Windows 95, Windows 98 and Windows ME), these parameters are located under: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\VxD\MSTCP.

cordially