Security information

cgracon

Hi-

I work for a large consulting firm and we're trying to help a client set up security for their entire IT environment. I'm not very familiar with Progress and I'm looking for some informaiton about setting up users and user profiles in Progress. How similar is Progress to Oracle, i.e. in using tables like SYS.DBA_USERS? Are there any on-line demos for Progress? I'd appreciate any help. Thank you.

Christine

------------------

<FONT COLOR="#000000" SIZE="1" FACE="Arial, Verdana">[This message has been edited by cgracon on 07 March 2000 @ ]</font>

Chris Kelleher

Administrator
Staff member
Christine-

Hi there, how are you doing? There are two types of Progress security, one is at the database level, which in enforced when compiling a program. The other is application security, which is handle differently by each applications' ISV.

To set up database security, just go into data administration. Under the "Admin" menu is an option for "Security". In there you can set up users along with a password and security administrators. After you these up, you should also run the option to disallow blank user access. Remember though to always have a current database backup first before making these changes. This security is imposed by Progress at compile time, so setting security here will prevent users from reading or writing data they shouldn't have access to.

All Progress security for the database is stored in what's called a "meta-table". This is basically a regular Progress table that is normally "hidden" from view. The user table is called _user (by convention, meta-schema tables begin with an underscore character).

Once database security is set up, it is also important to set up security in whatever Progress application you might be using (MFG/PRO or Syteline for example). Since these applications are already compiled, it is up to the code to decide how application security is handled.

Hope this helps.

-Chris

------------------
Chris Schreiber
ProgressTalk.com Manager
chris@fast4gl.com