Question Scratchpad Selective Amnesia

northcott

The scratchpad seems to lose my code most of the times I use it. The tabs are still there, they're just blank. I tend to avoid it anyways because the editor is a little clunky, but it is handy to just test a snippet here and there. Usually I'm careful about using it for anything more than that but yesterday I made the mistake of spending a little time on something in it and now it's gone On the flip side, there's a script that I was given to run something specific in one of our projects that has stayed in there for years without fail.

Does anyone know why this is? Or should I really just continue avoiding that feature? I'm on 11.6.3 but this was occurring in 11.5 as well.

Stefan

Cool, I didn't even know that the ABL scratchpad had tabs.

The lack of basic editor functionality like CTRL+F made me forget about the ABL scratchpad a long time ago.
I just checked, in 12.2.5 it is still dysfunctional.

Little scripts belong in source control as far as I'm concerned, anything that is on my drive only has no value whatsoever.

Cringer

ProgressTalk.com Moderator
Staff member
It's superbly good for little snippets of code. I'm with Stefan - if it has meaning it goes into SCM. I use it in 12.2.6 without any issues like you mention. It's still dysfunctional as Stefan says but I never lose code.

I don't remember it being a problem in 11.6 either but that was a very long time ago.

If any of your .metadata folder is in your SCM then that can cause problems, or if your workspace is on a shared location (God forbid!)