rogue transaction

harj

Dear All,

I have a rogue transaction running on my production db. I can see the transaction using promon and by display _trans records. I cannot bring the db down and so am thinking of just deleting the __trans file. Are there any repurcussions I should be aware of. I look forward to your inputs.

harj

promonaid

Hello,
The _trans table is a VST table (read only) that only displays the transactions. You won't be able to delete the record. What you should try to do if determine what user is holding that transaction open, then use promon or proshut to remove that user.

Both the _trans table and promon should be able to tell you the user number of the user that is holding the transaction open (_trans._trans-Usrnum). Once you get this number, go into promon or proshut and disconnect this user. This should remove the transaction.

Hope this helps
Rich Savitski
-------------------------------------------------
PromonAid * GUI Live Performance Monitor Client
--------- * Server Monitor w/ Threshold Alerts
* Store Statistics in PromonAid Database
for DB Performance Analysis over time.
Currently available for Progress 8.2x or 8.3x
http://www.promonaid.com only $299 U.S.
-------------------------------------------------

harj

promonaid,

The problem was that I could not see process using proshut and hence could not kill it. Promon displayed the transaction and so did Unix. The unix did not have a PID number and hence couldnt kill it that way either. When I said rogue, I actually mewant it. Any we brought the db down and that seems to have cleared the problem. Thanks for your input anyway