Report Distribution

conco

Management want's to be able to route reports
to salesman and Customers over phone lines .
We are running Progress 8.3b and AIX 4.3
Actuate had been attempted as a solution ,
but we never could get it to work .
Any other suggestions on this subject are
welcome , since we have no experience doing
this .

Chris Kelleher

Administrator
Staff member
How about saving the reports in HTML format, then upload them to a secure area of your web site? This allows anyone with an internet connection and web browser to view and print the reports locally.

-Chris

------------------
Chris Schreiber
ProgressTalk.com Manager
chris@fast4gl.com

jamesmc

Have you thought about e-mailing the output you get from Progress to your intended recipients? This is quite easily achieved in both Unix and GUI environments.

James.

conco

Thanks for the quick reply .
We don't have a WebSite up & running yet .
We want to be able to handle the reports
to go anywhere and when we want . Even if we had a WebSite , we still don't have a way to sent the report(s) to whom we want when we want . So I Still need an answer to this problem . Thanks .

conco

Thanks for the reply .
We want to automate this process .
Even if we set up the E-mail through UNIX ,
Something will still have to control which reports go where . What would be the software
or whatever used to do this ???

jamesmc

I presume you are using a Unix system. The best thing I would do in this case would be to run all of the reports to a directory on one of your file systems (perhaps /tmp?) and once they are all done, run a script that e-mails all of the reports to the correct recipients. The best command to use might possibly be MAIL (this works on HP-UX).

I have done this in the past and I know that it works.

Perhaps another thing might be remote printing?

James.

conco

Thanks to everyone for the responses .
Some of these reports may need to be sorted/edited before routing . For instance , a district sales list would have to go to each district , but only the parts that apply to that user . All ideas presented so far are good , but do not cover the large scope of the project .