Promon option 7 Issues

Hi All,

I am in real need of help here. When we do a Promon option 7 on a particular clients database we get the following information:
Database blocks high water mark = 0
Free blocks below highwater marks = 0
Record blocks with free space = 0

Does anyone have any idea on what this means etc. Any information that could be supplied would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you all in advance for any assistance offered.

Cya.

PS. Even while doing massive deletes this is not changing.

So you are using Progress V9.

Before you ask "Well how did he know that?", this is the symptom that you describe!

With Progress v9 and database areas, there are now multiple high water marks, free chains and RM chains. One for each area.

Progress (in their infinite wisdom) decided not to aggregate these on the promon screen so that you could "have a quick taste" but left them there and set them to zero. I believe this would have been to allow people using a "screen scraping" approach to db management to continue to use their existing app.

What you need to do now is review the _AreaStatus VST. You can look at this with the Data Dictionary even though it is not displayed, or alternatively have a look in the DBA Guide and Reference (Chapter 19 in my copy)

toby.Harman said:
So you are using Progress V9.

Before you ask "Well how did he know that?", this is the symptom that you describe!

With Progress v9 and database areas, there are now multiple high water marks, free chains and RM chains. One for each area.

Progress (in their infinite wisdom) decided not to aggregate these on the promon screen so that you could "have a quick taste" but left them there and set them to zero. I believe this would have been to allow people using a "screen scraping" approach to db management to continue to use their existing app.

What you need to do now is review the _AreaStatus VST. You can look at this with the Data Dictionary even though it is not displayed, or alternatively have a look in the DBA Guide and Reference (Chapter 19 in my copy)

Yes we are using v9. Atleast this means that there is no problem with the database. Thank you very much mate, you have been very helpful and just lifted a huge weight off my shoulders.

Thanx again mate.
Cya.

I didn't think I used 'but', although I know I end a lot of my sentences with 'mate', but I am being told by my workmates that I say it quite a bit :p

Cya.