Progress Query Tool

downat420

I am new to Progress. Previously I worked with Oracle, MSSQL and MYSQL. What is a great progress query tool, free or paid? I want to be able to write simple SQL queries.

Thank you

RealHeavyDude

You don't mention the Progress/OpenEdge version you are using.

Progress itself does not provide a real SQL query tool as the Progress/OpenEdge database is not a SQL database in the first place. "Real" means that there is something like a query tool available, the SQL explorer, that, depending on the Progress/OpenEdge version, comes in GUI and CHAR variants. Recent versions of OpenEdge only proivder the CHAR variant of the SQL explorer.

Apart from that you can use any SQL Query tool that can make ODBC or JDBC connection to databases.

Heavy Regards, RealHeavyDude.

Menno

The last two years I use SQuirreL SQL as a query tool. It's a Java application. It's simple, but it realy works fine.
Make sure you have SQL enabled for the database with it's own portnumber, not just 4gl.

Vexed

The last two years I use SQuirreL SQL as a query tool. It's a Java application. It's simple, but it realy works fine.
Make sure you have SQL enabled for the database with it's own portnumber, not just 4gl.

+1 I've been using SQuirrel SQL for the last 3 years and it works fine with progress (9.1D, 9.1E, 10.2A, 10.2B)

B Culverwell

if you are looking for an industry strength Progress Query tool that does not require ODBC at all (uses raw sockets for database communication) then take at look at www.nuvusoftware.com - there is a free evaluation available

sedge

+1 I've been using SQuirrel SQL for the last 3 years and it works fine with progress (9.1D, 9.1E, 10.2A, 10.2B)

I've installed SquirrelSQL 3.3.0 and it connects fine to OpenEdge 10.2B, but:
- it requires the schema name prefix ("pub.") on all table references in the SQL statements
- The Query Builder doesn't generate the schema name prefix.

Do you know either:
- How to connect so that the default schema is "PUB" or
- How to make the Query Builder insert it?

Thanks
Steve

sedge

Do you know either:
- How to connect so that the default schema is "PUB" or
- How to make the Query Builder insert it?

Figured out one way:
- append defaultSchema=pub to the end of the URL. Like: jdbc:datadirect:eek:penedge://localhost:20850;databaseName=sv0pson;defaultSchema=pub