[Progress News] [Progress OpenEdge ABL] Meet Terrie Butcher, Senior Manager, Technical Support, Progress

Status
Not open for further replies.
J

Jessica Kent

Today, we shine a spotlight on Terrie Butcher, who has been recognized for “Own Our Tomorrow, Today,” one of the ProgressPROUD core values we strive to embody every day.

Although the human side of technology isn’t always immediately apparent, people factor into every step of the tech process: From the initial idea to development, maintenance and everyday use, humans are an essential part of tech. That’s what Terrie Butcher has found throughout her career in customer service.

After working in customer service roles at several organizations, Terrie was referred to Progress Chef, where she’s served as senior manager of technical support for over a year. In addition to leading a great team and helping customers, Terrie is a co-leader of Progress for Her, our first employee resource group (ERG).

Learn more about Terrie and her career at Progress below.

How did you get into the tech field? What brought you to where you are today?  ​

I never thought of myself as a “techie;” however, after working for several great tech companies, I realized that no matter the industry, we all are in customer service. Whether you are an engineer, a manager or working in technical support, we are all here to provide a great customer experience both internally and externally. I came to Progress/Chef after being referred by someone who worked with me at a previous company and recommended me to one of our recruiters. The power of referrals is amazing, and the recommendation helped me get my foot in the door. I am so grateful that happened!

What do you think makes Progress a great company?​

I believe what makes Progress a great company is our inclusivity and our culture. I am motivated every day by all the incredibly talented people here at Progress. I am so privileged to be working with such a passionate, intelligent and fun team!  

You’re a co-leader of our Progress for Her ERG. How did that come about?​

When I learned about Progress for Her in my onboarding, I was so excited to know that Progress had so many great ERGs for us to join. Progress for Her is something I am truly passionate about. I was so happy to be selected as a co-leader alongside the other incredible leaders, Angela Campbell, director of program management, and Jennette Skaggs, senior field enablement manager. Also, the uber-talented Courtney Gagne, inclusion and diversity program manager. The people involved in Progress for Her are strong, passionate leaders who believe in inclusivity, diversity and empowering women. I’ve learned so much from them; they are so supportive, and I’ve learned from all the great events that I’ve been a part of.  

What made you decide to take on that role?​

I wanted to combine my passion for giving back with my work environment, and selfishly, I wanted to meet the incredible people in other parts of our business. 

What would you say is the most rewarding part of leading an ERG?​

Building relationships with other women in the company who truly want to help you succeed! It is definitely a culture that empowers you and wants to bring out the best in you.

What is your favorite part of your job right now?​

My favorite part is thinking outside of the box to improve what we are doing day by day. I love to challenge myself to build upon what is working well today and take it to the next level. The ultimate goal is to simplify and create efficiencies that lead to a better internal and/or external experience.

When you’re not working, what do you like to do?​

Everyone who knows me knows that I love tennis! I try to play almost every day. I love playing on teams and enjoy the competitive nature of tennis. It’s truly my passion! 

Throughout your career at Progress, has there been a certain coworker who has helped you, or who has been your favorite coworker?​

There are so many; however, if I had to narrow it down, I would say James Butts, senior director of customer success—he’s been such an inspiration. He empowers me and lets me do what I do best. He is a great listener and provides me with support and guidance.

I also have to say the entire support team. I’m biased but I do have to say we have the best team! I learn something new from them every day and I am inspired by their intelligence, commitment and drive to help our customers, all while having fun!

What are you most excited about for the future of Progress?​

I am really excited about our core businesses working together as one team. I know we will continue to put the needs of our customers first, innovate and expand our business.

To get to know other Progressers like Terrie, read more of our employee interviews here.

Join Our Team!

Continue reading...

Status
Not open for further replies.