[Progress News] [Progress OpenEdge ABL] Meet Edwin Bermudez, Facilities Operations Manager at Progress

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Dave Pierce

We’d like to introduce you to some of the people from around the world who make us who we are. In this post, meet Edwin Bermudez, facilities operations manager at our Progress offices in Morrisville, North Carolina, and Alpharetta, Georgia.

Edwin’s been with Progress for three years, and gained his facility management professional (FMP) certification during that time. However, his relationship with Progress dates back to 2012, when he worked in the Morrisville office as a security officer out front for a company contracted by Progress. In 2017, he jumped at the chance to work for Progress and now strives every day to be the glue that holds not just one, but two offices together. Here’s his story:

How would you describe what you do at Progress to a 5-year-old?

It’s funny because I have a 6-year-old son myself and he often asks about what I do. I usually just tell him that I make sure the people in the office are happy and have the supplies that they need to do their job. I also make sure that the machines have enough power to run properly.

What’s the most exciting thing about being a facilities operation manager at Progress?

I love how each day brings a new set of questions, problems, and challenges. There is no monotony in what I do, and I am appreciative of that. I feel that I constantly must think several steps ahead. The challenge and anticipation of what is to come certainly keeps things exciting for me. However, I am not alone in this process, I have a wonderful team and amazing leaders to help me along the way.

What’s a cool thing the people at your office do?

We just started a composting service here in January to help improve our environmental footprint. All our leftover or expired foods go into a special composting bin that the company switches out bi-weekly. The materials that are put into the bin are then turned into a compost which is used at local farms here in North Carolina. In just our first month we were able to compost over 75 pounds of material, decrease the amount of waste going to landfills, and help support local agriculture. I am looking forward to seeing how we can continue to grow this program over time.

How do you think Progress supports you growing as not just a professional but as a person?

Progress continually has enrichment programs that have helped me tremendously both professionally and personally. Last year I participated in a group that read a book about crucial conversations. I learned about negotiating and how to de-escalate conversations. This has helped me talk with my team more effectively, and my 6-year-old.

What do you think is the most valuable thing you’ve learned at Progress?

I have learned to be a more creative and out-of-the-box type of thinker. In my previous occupations, problem solving was pretty cut and dry. Most problems had set solutions and a set protocol that needed to be followed. For the most part, those same rules do not apply at Progress. I find myself being challenged to come up with non-conventional ways to correct a sever or mechanical issue on a regular basis and enjoy the challenge.

What kind of activities to you enjoy the most once the workday is over?

I love spending time being outdoors with my family. During the week, we will usually play soccer or catch after work. On the weekends, we will usually go out hiking and just exploring various trails around the area. My son joined Cub Scouts a few months ago so I have been spending a lot of time teaching him about camping and just exploring.

Continue reading...

Status
Not open for further replies.