[progress News] [progress Openedge Abl] How Yamaha Overcame Their Migration Nightmare

Status
Not open for further replies.
M

Mike Johnson

Staying on top of hardware trends can help you create a successful business. In my last blog, I talked about understanding socket management and Candy Crush as one good example. Another cool one is Yamaha, which is known for speed and performance.

Yamaha System Migration

slide-35-stripped.jpg

Yamaha had an order management system running on an IBM App server on Microsoft Windows. They decided to migrate that system over to SQL server and Linux to save some money. As they were migrating their system, the massive volume of data going through that application brought the system to its knees. And it was all due to connectivity problems.

To the Rescue

As they focused their attention on tuning the application, they discovered that during the transition, they had switched from one of their old drivers to a free driver from Microsoft. Not to disparage Microsoft, but they’re not a Unix shop. They never have been. But we are. We specialize in a lot of different operating systems. Our driver for Linux was put in and it solved their performance problem 20X over.

It allowed them to quickly process all the orders that had been backed up, and the entire order management system was working while the migration was completed. These types of results are what great partnerships are made of.

This is another example of something that you'd think would work but it just didn't. Their previous order management application was working just fine. When they decided to migrate for cost-efficiency reasons, the Yamaha team expected the connectivity to swap out instantaneously and that they would still get the same kind of results. What they learned is that data connectivity makes a big difference! For more information about how we were able to help Yamaha check out Jeff Reser’s post. Give us a try and see what kind of differences you'll see. I’d love to hear your stories.

Fastest in the Industry

The drivers my team and I build here at Progress® DataDirect® are designed to be the fastest in the industry, and we stand behind that claim with award-winning technical support. When you find performance issues in our software, we treat them like defects because we understand how important speed is to your business. You can pick up a free trial today and try it out for yourself, or watch a replay of our Progress webinar, “Industry Insight: Optimizing Your Data for Better Performance” to learn more. Don’t forget to check back for more insights and insider tips from Progress DataDirect!
2328200.gif

Continue reading...

Status
Not open for further replies.