Progress errors (6404) and (6397)

MadMichael

I am getting error (6404) "WebWrite() failed during npp_send" and eventually, after 10 retries of (6404), error (6397) "WTA: npp_send() failed" in my Webspeed Agent server.log.

Using the "-debugalert" option for the agent, the stack trace shows these errors being generated by both my application code and by Progress-supplied code such as "web\objects\web-disp.p".

Log analysis shows periods of as long as 3 months without these errors, and periods with error rates of tens, hundreds, and even thousands of these error messages per hour.

Any tips or pointers on how to debug these errors? I am using Progress 9.1D on a Windows 2003 server, and my application uses stateless cgi-wrapper techniques to generate HTML on the fly.

The Progress HELP for error (6404) is unusual, to say the least:

WTA: WebWrite() failed during npp_send with error: size: sentbytes retrycount . (6404)
I have seen this message appear under heavy load. It indicates that during the writing a a page of data to the web stream, there was a netowrk failure that caused npp_send to return an error. This may require that the TCP parameters are bumped up to allow it to handle heavier traffic volumns.
m