Progress Editior

Zach Ahmed

Hello All,
I am new to Progress Database. I need to write some Progress scripts. Is there a gui Progress Editor that I can download.

any suggestions is appreciated.

Zach

Rob Fitzpatrick

ProgressTalk.com Sponsor
In addition to Piew, which is third-party, you can also use Progress Developer Studio for OpenEdge (PDSOE), which is an Eclipse-based IDE. This is a commercial product from Progress that can be licensed on its own, and is included with the OpenEdge Developer Kit (OEDK).

Some people have been known to write ABL code in other editors, even vim or MicroEMACS. But that won't act as a full IDE, with syntax checking, statement completion, etc.

KMoody

I've used Progress Developer Studio for years, and I highly recommend it. However, if you need to use Notepad++, consider downloading the OpenEdge UDL here:

In Notepad++, the UDL will highlight and color syntax for Progress files and allow you to fold code structures appropriately.

Rob Fitzpatrick

ProgressTalk.com Sponsor
I would also recommends PDS. It has its flaws but Progress continues to invest in it; it does improve over time. And it's Eclipse, so there is a large ecosystem of plugins for things like source control integration, linting, etc.

Zach Ahmed

Thanks all for your valuable advises.

I have a one more question:

I need to step through my code in Progress Developer Studio. I see the debugger option, but can some one please show me step by step on how to turn the debugger so I can step through each line of code.

thanks
Zach