[Progress Communities] [Progress OpenEdge ABL] Forum Post: SYSTEM ERROR: Schema cache key, xref, or key field count incorrect. (996)

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

dbeavon

I was attempting to activate indexes using the "idxbuild" option. This appears to be the only approach that performs well when dealing with large tables. Here is the KB : Progress KB - Best way to add new index to table with large count of records? Adding an index normally takes hours but this takes minutes. It seems to make the most sense for a busy dba, as long as they are willing to re-establish OE replication afterwards. The only problem is that I get a weird error on my first attempt. See below. It says " Schema cache key, xref, or key field count incorrect ". If I simply re-run the command again then it works the second time (and all subsequent times after that). I was able to recreate the issue on a different copy of the same database. The first time the command fails with a scary message, but every time after that it works. These are old databases (initially created pre-version-9) so I'm assuming there is some cruft in the table that needs to be repaired. Despite the fact that everything comes out OK in the end, it concerns me that the failed attempts to do idxbuilds are actually modifying the database in some way - even though they say they are failing. I do see that the first execution of the command says it is truncating BI, but the failure happened after that point in the command output ... so I assume there is yet another change that was made in conjunction with the display of the error?!? Is anyone familiar with that particular error message or how to decipher it? I suppose it's probably not something I should dwell on, I've seen scarier messages from OE that didn't really end up meaning anything.

Continue reading...

Status
Not open for further replies.