[Progress Communities] [Progress OpenEdge ABL] Forum Post: RE: What is the maximum possible value of -io for a probkup incremental?

Status
Not open for further replies.
F

frank.meulblok

[quote user="slacroixak"] The idea is that 243 days after a full backup, I would be able to restore a database somewhere with a reasonable set of files like : full + inc200 + inc100 + inc40 + inc30 + inc20 + inc10 + inc4 + inc3 + inc2 + inc1 [/quote] But is that really going to be a reasonable set of files compared to, let's say, a weekly full backup and daily incrementals ? It's not just the number of files involved. I would not be surprised if the total filesize of incremental backups will start exceeding the full backups as well.There's probably a tipping point depending on exactly what activity takes place in the database, but because of that you may want to do full backups more frequently anyway, and with fewer incrementals between fulls, those become easier to manage too. I'm also kind of curious what the exact use case behind this scenario is. Meaning, how important is the time to restore from the backups, and how accurately do you want to specify the point in time to restore to ?

Continue reading...

Status
Not open for further replies.