[progress Communities] [progress Openedge Abl] Forum Post: Re: User Time Zone Settings

Status
Not open for further replies.
B

bbrennan

This is a good thread. I like the banter because it has exposed a number of options and potential pitfalls. Thanks for the feedback. In the perfect world, I could get my domain connection to grab the TZ of the device in question and simply pass that into my telnet session. For RDP or Citrix clients this is called Time Zone Redirection. As David points out, I am initially researching ways to deliver this without touching the code. It is not my code to touch but I have a friendly relationship with the developers so we can go down that path as needed. My assumption is that I will be far more efficient delivering this if we do not need to code, test and certify a heap of new enhancements. I also appreciate David's comments about legacy code. There is a lot of that about and I agree that a good chunk of it carries on in less than today's 'best practices'. In my case however, all of the code is new since the Date-Time enhancements came out. It will take some review though to make sure none of the old ways sneaked into the new code. While the code is new, the developers may not have embraced the newest techniques. We are setting up a test to see if a telnet connection to either a Terminal Server or Citrix box can redirect the TZ. I'll post the results once we know more.

Continue reading...

Status
Not open for further replies.