[Progress Communities] [Progress OpenEdge ABL] Forum Post: RE: Stopping the PASOE service (sometimes this is taking extremely large amount of time)

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

dbeavon

Thanks for pointing me to "pasoestart". I don't believe I would need that level of abstraction over the top of the service controller (and over top of tcman). I suspect that the standard Windows service control would have been sufficient for our purposes if it had included the -F functionality after a "reasonable" number of seconds (30, 60 or whatever). I had also investigated stopping something smaller than the tomcat instance. I noticed tomcat will allow me to stop the web apps as part of a custom shutdown. What I liked is that it prevents new connection requests, while the PASOE instance is attempting to shut down. Another thing I liked is the fact that this didn't have a permanent effect.... when the instance comes back online again the web apps are running right away without any additional management. The only thing it didn't seem to help with is the interruption of misbehaving ABL sessions. In that regard it didn't really address the root problem. I haven't had a need to manage ABL applications independently yet. (Aside from using pskill on the mproapsv's as needed) ... But I suppose that might come in the future (ie. it would be nice to reconfigure an individual ABL application in openedge.properties on-the-fly, and then restart that application independently of the others). Today it seems that you need to cycle the whole PASOE instance before configuration takes effect... but that normally seems appropriate anyway. The only thing I really miss is the "dynamic" changes in OE logging - we lost that when upgrading from 11.7.4 to 11.7.5. But that is another story...

Continue reading...

Status
Not open for further replies.