[Progress Communities] [Progress OpenEdge ABL] Forum Post: RE: Stopping the PASOE service (sometimes this is taking extremely large amount of time)

Status
Not open for further replies.
M

Michael Jacobs

I love the analogy. It is very appropriate, and we are in agreement. We have a more comprehensive start and restart process in the 'pasoestart' script, which is a higher level utility. Where the tcman adds to tomcat's low-level CLI utilities, pasoe adds to tcman. At this time, pasoestart is primarily targeted at developer's private instances and does not include Windows Services. tcman pasoestart -timeout 120 # allow 120 seconds for startup of a stopped server, and stop the server if the ABL applications do not start. tcman pasoestart -timeout 120 -restart # allows 120 seconds to stop, then restarts a stopped server and allows 120 seconds for startup of the ABL applications I suspect that something similar would be useful for Windows Services? I can say the -w & -F were missing from the tcman help text. We missed that, and its on us. You should find them added in the next service pack. The engineering folks have been adding to the list of admin operations the means of stopping individual ABL application MS-Agent processes. The tcman enable & disable could be used to turn on/off client access to individual ABL web applications before stopping the server. We've observed that the use of these lower level admin tools can be very useful, when taken into context of the ABL application run-time. I've often found in the past that making my own wrappers always give me a level of control that fit my operations better - it sounds like that might be a good investment for you. I'll go back and look at the Windows pasoestart command. Maybe handling Windows services would work, but maybe not. No commitments and no promises other than I see your point and will look at the possibility. Go ahead and ask followup questions if it helps with your operations.

Continue reading...

Status
Not open for further replies.