[Progress Communities] [Progress OpenEdge ABL] Forum Post: RE: Stopping the PASOE service (sometimes this is taking extremely large amount of time)

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

dbeavon

>> Wow... when you do follow up questions, you really mean it. Yes, because stopping is important. If my car had a brake pedal that didn't work then it would be a much bigger problem than a broken gas pedal. Assuming we didn't get anywhere with those questions, then my next question would have been related to another option - restarting the entire VM. When in doubt, restart the machine. Isn't that what people used to say about Windows servers? Certainly Progress wouldn't withhold tech support from customers who experience "unexpected" power loss on their PASOE servers... Thanks for all your tips. I'm especially happy about tip #2 which seems to be working fine. This should be added to the documentation! Without the -F option, there is really no point. I can't imagine that any PASOE administrator would be happy with the final outcome of a stop operation that leaves the PASOE windows service in a state of limbo. Below are the two different stop operations. The first one doesn't stop the windows service, and leaves it at a permanent status of "stopping" (in which it can no longer be managed). ... and the second one stops everything after five seconds no matter what. If an active ABL transaction does not complete in five seconds, then it dies! Alternatively we might customize this with a wrapper. We could build on the "tcman service stop" with additional functionality... ie. we could use REST to interrogate PASOE for long-running, active sessions and ask the administrator to confirm they are OK with killing those sessions. Thanks again for the tips!

Continue reading...

Status
Not open for further replies.