[Progress Communities] [Progress OpenEdge ABL] Forum Post: RE: Stopping the PASOE service (sometimes this is taking extremely large amount of time)

Status
Not open for further replies.
M

Michael Jacobs

Wow... when you do follow up questions, you really mean it. I'll be happy to share what I know. 1) As a rule, OE does not alter the shipped behavior of tomcat. We extend and supplement it through tomcat published APIs, but we don't change source code and recompile. The same applies to procrun as well - we use it in tcman to make service setup easier, but we don't alter its functionality. 2) Aha! They've update the help recently. I physically looked at the Windows tcmanager in 11.7.4, and it contains the support for -w & -F. Please try the options and verify that I am not leading you on a wild chase. 3) Use the normal start & stop for running private versions of a PASOE instance, and use tcman service start/stop/... for Windows Services. The former uses the Windows process management APIs and the latter uses the Windows libraries for working with Services. 4) Yes, the shutdown port is supported. It's just not as secure or reliable. The shutdown port has always been more of a 'suggestion' to stop, while the tcman commands take direct control of the processes. I've seen the shutdown port hang, silently fail, or be used to do a shutdown by other people - so it may be me but I don't trust it. However, I don't see why the shutdown port could not be used as long as it satisfies your requirements and you take proper precautions for changing the passphrase. I create instances via tcman, which provides me the option to set a specific port if I want. 5) Don't think I'll speculate on the 'supported' question. OE should continue to work on making 'stop' more reliable, especially in the case of Windows Services. The -F option to tcman service stop will do a Windows process stop if you have the privileges, which should be roughly equivalent to pskill. If -F does not work - there may be something else happening and we'd like to know. When all the right answers fail - you do what you must, as we all do. (and yes, there is a task to look at other options for forcing Windows Service stop) Not sure if you got everything you were looking for, but I hope the information is useful. Mike J.

Continue reading...

Status
Not open for further replies.