[Progress Communities] [Progress OpenEdge ABL] Forum Post: RE: Stopping the PASOE service (sometimes this is taking extremely large amount of time)

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

dbeavon

Michael, that is very helpful. A few follow-up questions... 1. Can you tell me how much I should be relying on the tomcat documentation? IE. should we generally expect that tomcat features and behaviors (like graceful stop timeouts) should also be by PASOE? See : commons.apache.org/.../procrun.html Is this something that may start working in the future? I have been happy to use some other tomcat features that work out-of-the-box, like the tomcat manager webapp. 2. >> "Check with 'tcman.bat help service' to determine if the -w & -F options are listed and available" ... the tcman service documentation above (the first link in my prior post) did not reference the -F (and -w) parameters in 11.7.5. "tcman help service" doesn't list them either. I'm assuming they are not available from the "tcman service" command any more than they are available from the standard service controller. Let me know if I am missing something.... 3. I'm assuming that when its configured as a windows service, you *must* use the "tcman service" variation of the start/stop commands, and *not* the regular "tcman stop", right? 4. Is the "shutdown port" for tomcat fully supported in PASOE? I had noticed that the shutdown port is not prominently featured on the OEE configuration U/I. But based on my research, the shutdown port should work on a windows service. See the discussion at tomcat.10.x6.nabble.com/Shutdown-port-on-Windows-Service-installation-td5013583.html 5. It is unfortunate that poorly written code running in a *single* ABL session can subvert the *entire* shutdown operation. There are times when it isn't even our own custom code that is the problem - but it may be some dependency/component such as the "JMS adapter" which can get itself hung at times. Another unfortunate thing is that the shutdown operation doesn't even prevent *new* appserver requests... IE. after the shutdown operation is initiated, not only are the old sessions still alive-and-well, but new requests are arriving as well. Given that the PASOE never seems to get very serious about stopping, should I avoid using the windows service controller for stopping the windows service? It is easy to find another more reliable approach on Windows, like using "pskill -t tomcat8.exe". (see docs.microsoft.com/.../pskill ) . We are using client-server connections to an OE database and I'm not extremely worried about the effect on the database. But I would be worried if there was any chance that tomcat would not restart again after a pskill shutdown (possibly because of something that it leaves behind on disk, like a weird PID file or some such thing). Can you tell me if Progress would support shutting down the tomcat service with pskill? I appreciate anything you can do to help us find the button for PASOE ! Thanks, David

Continue reading...

Status
Not open for further replies.