[Progress Communities] [Progress OpenEdge ABL] Forum Post: RE: Stopping the PASOE service (sometimes this is taking extremely large amount of time)

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

dbeavon

I haven't found a KB for the inability to stop PASOE as a service (on Windows). I seems that I've found the report. The repro is to simply start a long-running operation within a PASOE agent session (eg SLEEP 300). If you try to stop the PASOE service while one of these requests is underway, then the service will remain at the "stopping" status forever. This seems to put it in a state of limbo. I believe I could forcefully auto-stop the service using a series of brutal steps (initiate the stopping of the related PASOE web app, kill all _mproapsv processes from the OS, then finally attempt to use service controller to stop the PASOE windows service). I'm a bit hesitant to work on this, since it should be part of the product ... and it may be in the future. I think it is better for Progress to implement this the "right way" (or at least in a way that they will fully support). I noticed that the tomcat8w.exe service controller application for windows has a "timeout" configuration for shutdown purposes. I'm assuming that timeout is supposed to specify the "graceful" shutdown period , after which the service is supposed to be forcefully terminated. I don't think this is currently implemented in the Progress PASOE because if I change the default "timeout" from 0 to 20 seconds, it doesn't have any impact on the behavior. The registry key for the shutdown timeout in tomcat8w is found here: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Apache Software Foundation\Procrun 2.0\oepas1\Parameters\Stop (... The DWORD value for the timeout is called "Timeout".) If anyone has suggestions about tweaking the PASOE shutdown process (as a windows service), I'd be happy to hear. I'm also interested to hear if tcman works any better for stopping PASOE on Linux. I see that there is separate documentation, depending on if you are stopping PASOE as a windows service, or stopping it when managed outside the context of a windows service: documentation.progress.com/.../index.html documentation.progress.com/.../index.html The second link seems to give options to forcefully stop after a timeout but the first link doesn't have any option like that.

Continue reading...

Status
Not open for further replies.