[Progress Communities] [Progress OpenEdge ABL] Forum Post: RE: SEH: the throw keyword

Status
Not open for further replies.
J

jquerijero

It has something to do with the determining the code execution tree mapping where every leaf must be proven to produce a safe state. I think SEH is easier to map than chasing output error code/text because it has an identifiable termination point. [quote user="dbeavon"] That is interesting. I'd hate to write software for medical devices but, if I did, it would certainly involve SEH. And I'd be extremely careful while crafting my catch blocks. In regular line-of-business code, I rarely catch all exceptions. I try to catch the bulk of exceptions including the ones that are predictable. But I only catch them as long as they aren't "above my pay grade". If there is an out-of-memory, or full disk, or power failure, then those will (intentionally) escape my application catch blocks because I am not even going to pretend like I know what to do for them. Normally it would be the job of the OS to log these types of unexpected crashes to the event log, and it can figure out what to do next ... These types of things may even cause the entire VM to shut down and someone will need to allocate more resources to it from the Hyper-V host (memory or disk or whatever). That type of thing is definitely above the pay grade of any given line-of-business application. [/quote]

Continue reading...

Status
Not open for further replies.