[Progress Communities] [Progress OpenEdge ABL] Forum Post: RE: SEH: the throw keyword

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

dbeavon

Consider that exceptions aren't only a language concern. They are also part of the .Net runtime environment. If I write code in VB or C#, it is interoperable and the runtime will propagate exceptions across unrelated assemblies. The JVM runtime also supports multiple languages and I'm assuming they all have to support the handling of exceptions or languages and libraries won't play well together. Without common patterns and practices, things get very crazy. Imagine pulling ten nuget packages that each had their own unique strategies for reporting errors to the runtime! Sharing code in a runtime is possible because exceptions are a first-class member of the runtime. And there is lots of developer tooling that is built on time of the .Net exceptions. In the context of .Net, arguing against the concept of exceptions is almost as unthinkable to me as it would be to argue against another fundamental part of the runtime (like GC-based memory management or whatever).

Continue reading...

Status
Not open for further replies.