[Progress Communities] [Progress OpenEdge ABL] Forum Post: RE: Schema Maintenance in SQL Server (Comparing "Pro2SQL" vs. "SQL DataServer" products)

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

dbeavon

>> with pro2SQL there are three schemae to maintain ... That is the same number I came up with. It seems a bit intimidating. It also seems that it is more complex than what your typical OpenEdge shop would find acceptable. I wonder if this product is really as popular as our account managers have claimed. On the other hand, the alternative to pro2sql is for OpenEdge customers to build a custom and non-generic ETL strategy from scratch ... and that can get pretty hairy too! (Although it may seem easy at first glance.) I suppose it is difficult to know how much work is involved in managing pro2sql until we actually try it out. It would be nice if there was some limited free version of PRO2 (and DataServer). They should be made available as a trial within PDSOE... >> a lot depends on how much and what you change after the initial setup. This is what I was thinking as well. If I were a customer who had a legacy OE database (wherein the schema is never changing) then the *only* thing I have to worry about is the one-time setup work. After that work is done I will reap the benefits of having all my data in both types of databases. And I never have to contemplate the challenges of keeping *three* sets of schema in sync with each other. (Since the source database is not changing over time.)

Continue reading...

Status
Not open for further replies.