[Progress Communities] [Progress OpenEdge ABL] Forum Post: RE: Real Time Data Replication for BI Reporting

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

dbeavon

Do you have a business system written in ABL? What BI reporting tools do you use? Is it high volume reporting (10s of millions of rows, or 10s GB)? Everyone's definition of BI is different so it is probably important to clarify the types of reports and tools that you would consider creating. If you haven't yet started using appserver (PASOE), then that is certainly the most obvious place to start accessing your data, but involves programming. Are you a developer? The nice thing about appserver is that your reporting can make re-use of any available ABL logic that is used for interpreting your data. Many BI tools would be able to call your appserver routines directly or indirectly (eg. via REST or other types of interfaces) If you aren't ready to do the necessary ABL programming, then Pro2 may be your best bet. I haven't tried it yet, and haven't heard much discussion about it in these forums either. But I am told by our account representatives that Pro2 is extremely popular (despite the fact that there is so little discussion about it here in the forums). There are something things that may be problematic for you, however. I think Pro2 will probably give you the same number of databases on the SQL side. It also uses ROWID's for unique record identification by default. This means that If your databases are ever dumped and loaded you need to reinitialize replication. Also, I think CDC is the best way to do Pro2 - and for that you will need to be on a much more recent version of OE.

Continue reading...

Status
Not open for further replies.