[Progress Communities] [Progress OpenEdge ABL] Forum Post: RE: protop storage areas

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Dmitri Levin

Right. Just because something was making sense 10 years ago does not mean it will make sense now. And what makes sense now will not make in the future, Progress should have the ability to grow an existing extents. It is great that OE 12.1 allows to grow a variable extent to a certain size, but how about fixed extents? It would be nice to grow them too. 10 years ago I set my Oracle DB extents to 5 GB, The database is growing, I changed extents to 10 GB a while back, now I make extents 20 GB each and in 5 years I do not know how much I will make them. Oracle allows me to grow fixed length extents. Nice feature. And having that all the conversation what is the right and what is not right -- does not matter. You make what ever size you want. BTW in Oracle I can even shrink the fixed extent, provided that it's HWM allows to do that, i.e shrink only Empty blocks. That is probably not that needed, only if accidentally someone makes a too big extent.

Continue reading...

Status
Not open for further replies.