[Progress Communities] [Progress OpenEdge ABL] Forum Post: RE: Pro2 multi-tenant OpenEdge db replication using CDC

Status
Not open for further replies.
T

temays

Pro2 multi-tenant enablement is pretty simple but you first must address how the replqueue table is read in regard to multi-tenancy. You may choose to A) embed the replication tables into your source database with all the same multi-tenant setup, or B) enable multi-tenant on Pro2 "repl" database. If you choose to option B, it’s important for you to setup the same domain/user structure as is setup in the source database. Personally I would set it up using method A. One the replqueue stuff is setup, the rest of it is pretty easy. On disk, you do need two separate installation folders but there is no need to have separate “logical names” for each footprint. The overall setup will actually be easier to maintain if you have everything in the setup configured the same (source names, schema holder names, etc.) but change the PF files to reflect each tenant to be replicated. The easiest approach is to get one environment working/reading and replicating using one of the tenant domain/userid/password. In your example, let’s start by getting C:\Progress\Pro2A functional. For Pro2a, modify your source pf file to have -U -P tenant login for the OE database. You could test it by starting a Pro2 editor and attempting to read source side data? Can you tell the data is appropriate for domain/user Pro2A versus Pro2B? Can you read repl* table data? If so, the admin tool, mapping, etc. should simply work. Now you clone Pro2A to Pro2B, change the source pf file to have Pro2B tenant credentials. You’ll also have to change shortcut pathing, etc in the Scripts folder. Can you read data?. Do all the same test as before. If you are certain you are now reading Pro2B data, then you’re all set. You can seed the Pro2B repl* tables by simply copying them from Pro2A to Pro2B, as long as the logical names being used are the same, then everything will simply work. This was my point in the above statement “overall setup will actually be easier to maintain if you have everything in the setup the same…” I apologize for the late response. I was trying to get an example working, but enabling multi-tenancy is giving me fits on the VM I‘m using for testing. So in the interest of time, I’m sharing the setup method and will continue to get my local environment working to insure I didn’t leave out a step. The procedure above is close, but it’s been awhile since I setup a multi-tenant Pro2 environment and I wanted to validate it all before replying. Once you get two environments working then it should all make sense. As an FYI, you don’t necessarily have to have two completely separate on-disk environments. The magic is associated with calling the correct PF file. for the tenancyyou are attempting to replicate. If in each environment you are replicating ALL of the same items, i.e. the setup is identical, then really you can get by with only PF file modifications and a few duplicate shortcuts, although potentially this complicates the upgrade processes. Just a thought. I can get on a quick call to discuss the details and I’ll try to post a video when I get my MT environment up and running correctly. In the meantime, feel free to drop me a note if you need further clarification. Terry (temays@progress.com)

Continue reading...

Status
Not open for further replies.