[progress Communities] [progress Openedge Abl] Forum Post: Re: Pdsoe Database License - One...

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

dbeavon

Yes, I found there was another product that Progress sells which actually makes a cross-platform backup/restore feasible. It comes from "bravepoint" and its named "pro d&l". This *should* be bundled for free with PDSOE. Most developers would benefit from having a copy of production data on their development workstations. In our case, my Progress databases come from HP-UX. It was a *massive* pain to finally move it over - via the so-called "binary dump and load". Last month when I attempted this stuff, I got scared quickly and had to R-U-N-N-O-F-T. ( www.youtube.com/watch ) This month I tried again. I must have read about 2 dozen KB's (*not* a joke) on the topic of everything from storage extents, blocksizes, "proutil" commands for indexing, loading large data records before small ones, and on and on and on. I now have a five page document on how to get a developer copy of a production database. I know *infinitely* more than I ever wanted to about this (that is to say zero). Progress needs to seriously consider placing a huge abstraction layer on this process, whereby a person can point at a database on one server and click a button that says "Move It" . Remember that the database is only moving to a developer instance of the OE database server. It would normally be on a local SSD, for private use, and the risks for screwing something up are minimized. In this type of scenario a developer should not have to sift thru the minutiae in the KB, or waste days of manual effort. This shouldn't be so hard.

Continue reading...

Status
Not open for further replies.