[Progress Communities] [Progress OpenEdge ABL] Forum Post: RE: PASOE error 18318 and 18320 in log file - connection timeout

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

dbeavon

>> I keep finding myself comparing the Classic appserver to PASOE. If we are going to migrate I would expect nothing less that it to be as stable and to provide the same if not better performance than the Classic appsever. Up to this point neither has been the case Yes, I agree that there are troubles upgrading from classic to PASOE. Overall I think it is better, and continuing to improve as it is rolled out to increasing numbers of customers. The deprecation of classic will only force PASOE to improve, since there won't be any alternative that can be used to jump ship. You may have to plan on creating a bit of your own PASOE babysitting software. We run PASOE on windows and have a dedicated service that performs health checks and regular maintenance operations like trimming the idle ABL sessions out of msagent processes on an hourly basis. We also stop and restart the entire instance on a weekly basis to flush out any cruft that remains within memory (in the session-manager or msagent processes as a whole). There are also peripheral tools you could use to monitor stability... like the "Health Scanner" docs.progress.com/.../HealthScanner.html I haven't tried it yet. There are also third-party vendors like ProTop would also help you monitor PASOE and ensure stability. Overall I think the underlying tech/platform of PASOE is better (ie. because it is based on tomcat/HTTP). And it allows you to deploy standardized HTTP load-balancing, assuming your custom ABL solution is not written in a way that requires the sharing of OS memory with the OpenEdge database itself. By using load-balancing, and scaling out to multiple independent hosts in the middle tier, you have the potential of vastly improving stability and capacity and even performance as compared to classic. For the sake of performance we often just break apart a long-running loop across 5 or 10 concurrent threads by using .Net's TPL (ie. Parallel.Foreach.) That allows everything to run all at once against the load-balanced PASOE . It is a "sledgehammer" approach, but it easily makes up for performance degradations related to migration from classic to PASOE (and also for the degradations related to migrating from shared memory DB to client/server DB).

Continue reading...

Status
Not open for further replies.