[Progress Communities] [Progress OpenEdge ABL] Forum Post: RE: Issues with PAS and network connectivity

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

dbeavon

>> They have been able to recreate the issue with the following results as logged by the support engineer. Recreating the issue on their end is usually the key step. They need to do that before they can really dig into it. They have all the source code and they can now do the profiling to find the underlying source of the delay. It shouldn't be long now. Those are fairly massive delays and I would think it should be easy to find the related java callstacks in "visual vm" or "mission control" or whatever. You could probably do that yourself, and investigate their decompiled java code if you really cared to. If this isn't a corking or nagle issue then it may be concurrency related. It wouldn't surprise me if there were some unintentional concurrency conflict that they had introduced in their code ("com.progress.O4gl.Broker" or whatever). Off the top of my head I can think of three other concurrency conflicts I've dealt with in PASOE... there is one related to using XML from multiple ABL sessions, there was one related to initializing the "clr bridge" from multiple ABL sessions at once (that has been fixed), and there is one related to the concurrent use of the "generic JMS" adapter (this is still an active support ). I'm surprised that other linux customers haven't complained about this too. My understanding is that Linux is the primary platform for OE ... for example they have done work to support docker containers on Linux but nothing like that has happened on Windows yet . Did they tell you the purpose of "readMsg" in "com.progress.O4gl.Broker"? It sounds like it is doing some IPC communication with the _mproapsv processes. If that IPC relies on TCP/IP then I would still suspect an issue related to corking or nagle. Hopefully they can fix it and there will a lot of grateful Linux folks. We had a nagle issue with the "classic" appserver on HP-UX but it didn't affect other platforms (linux or windows). It added a fairly substantial delay (100's of ms). That was fixed a couple of years ago. But that was less impactful... there probably aren't a lot of HP-UX customers anymore (and I suspect that even if there were still a few HP-UX customers, they would probably be oblivious ... )

Continue reading...

Status
Not open for further replies.