[Progress Communities] [Progress OpenEdge ABL] Forum Post: RE: Identifier was left blank or is more than *32* characters (STATIC TEMP-TABLE AND DATASE

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

Stefan Drissen

I do not disagree with allowing long names, as long as they are not perversely plastered all over the code because intellisense and autocomplete make it easy to do so. Prior to autocopmlete / intellisense there was a perversion called copy / paste which also, for some, eliminated the need to think about what one was pasting. A piece of code doing: assign tt_whatever_InvoiceAllocationDetail.id = 1 tt_whatever_InvoiceAllocationDetail.descr = "my invoice" tt_whatever_InvoiceAllocationDetail.etc = "etc" tt_whatever_InvoiceAllocationDetail.etc = "etc" . Is just performing a denial of service attack against my brain. So a long descriptive temp-table in a global context is fine. Any code using it should be using a buffer named just right / concisely enough for the context in which it is being used. define buffer budetail for tt_whatever_InvoiceAllocationDetail. assign budetail.id = 1 budetail.descr = "my invoice" budetail.etc = "etc" budetail.etc = "etc" .

Continue reading...

Status
Not open for further replies.