[Progress Communities] [Progress OpenEdge ABL] Forum Post: RE: How to find CLASS definition file .cls to be compiled before compiling .p

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

dbeavon

>> With 10,000+ programs that is between 20 minutes and 1.5 hours, depending with local database or with remote db. IMHO you should always compile with *local* schema/database. Export the database schema, wherever it is, and recreate the empty version of the database locally to compile against. Another trick is you don't even need to proserve the database to compile code against it from multiple concurrent clients. Just use "-1" along with "-RO". This allows every ABL client that is compiling code to access the database in "single-user" mode while performing the COMPILE operations. The re-creation of the local database is CPU-bound on a single core, and can be a small bottleneck. But it will definitely save you some time in the long run if you have tens of thousands of programs to compile. Most of this is not terribly hard to do, but I can see why there are third-party tools that are filling the gap. It is a really big shame that Progress isn't stepping up to the plate and offering their own toolchain for compiling ABL. The only recent change that I'm aware of is that they now redistribute PCT in their installation packages. But they don't formally support it in tech support, last time I asked.

Continue reading...

Status
Not open for further replies.