[Progress Communities] [Progress OpenEdge ABL] Forum Post: RE: How can I explain for business the difference between the classic AppServer and the new

Status
Not open for further replies.
R

Rob Straight

Just wanted to confirm the comments above: the "classic" OpenEdge Application Server, originally built on technology available in the late 1990's, had architecturally reached the end of what Progress could do with it. The result was a grounds-up, brand new PAS for OpenEdge product that has features and capabilities that could not have been implemented in the classic AppServer. We have been as transparent as possible since the launch of PASOE in late 2014 that the application server technology that we would move forward with is PASOE. Any change in infrastructure technology is going to be viewed depending on the perspective of the user. In the case of PASOE, many are very supportive and extremely excited about what can now be accomplished. Others also like what PASOE has to offer, and have need time to schedule the migration to PASOE, changes that typically are small but do require a testing pass prior to moving into production. There are I am sure some that do not see value in PASOE, perhaps due to where their organization and application is in maturity, or maybe because we have not clearly communicated the value of the offering. Progress is happy to work with you if you have concerns! I think we are now clear(er) about the financial side of the migration- whatever money you spent to purchase your classic AppServer licenses is available towards the purchase of PASOE licenses. You just need to be current on Maintenance to take advantage of the trade-in value. Also, you are under no pressure to move to OpenEdge 12. Yes, there are excellent reasons for you to make the move, but if you are not ready to migrate to PASOE at this time, we recommend that you stay on (or move up to) OE11.7. OE11.7 will be supported for many years, and when you are ready, you can make the move to PASOE on either OE11.7 or the then-current version of OE12.

Continue reading...

Status
Not open for further replies.