[Progress Communities] [Progress OpenEdge ABL] Forum Post: RE: How can I explain for business the difference between the classic AppServer and the new

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

dbeavon

@Paul Thanks, even the hypothetical figures are helpful for illustration. >> My understanding is that they will not credit you the value of equivalent, newly purchased 11.7 AppServer licenses. They will dig into their sales history, calculate how much money you actually paid and use that number When you say "actually paid", it sounds like you are referring to the amount you originally paid after the discount, then you adjust that for price inflation to come up with a trade-in amount. It does NOT sound like you are including the maintenance dollars themselves as part of the amount you "actually paid" even though it could be a much larger figure than the original purchase, (esp. if you purchased in 2001). Just to be clear, my understanding is that paying maintenance is still a consideration, even though it is not part of the calculation of the trade-in credit. IE. I'm assuming Progress would NOT even give you the option to get trade-in credit if you had NOT paid the maintenance on the classic appserver, right? Thanks for the information. We have additional "classic" licenses that we need to trade in at some point, and I'm eager to hear how others do it. And how the process might be changing since our first crack at it. It seems like the process is a bit more complex/mysterious than it should be, and I can't help but wonder how differently this must be happening from one customer to the next.. In our case we are converting from "concurrent user" on classic to "core" on PASOE. (It appears our concurrent user licensing on classic must have been grandfathered - since Thomas didn't list it as one of the well-known options).

Continue reading...

Status
Not open for further replies.