[Progress Communities] [Progress OpenEdge ABL] Forum Post: RE: Garbage collection for the sake of static temp-tables (in long-running _progres)

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

dbeavon

>> are you aware that the GC only works with object classes, not handles ? Yes, its all shown above. Those programs will work if you copy/paste into PDSOE. At the core are one simple static tt definition, and one simple class that BIND's to it. The class instance will cause the static TT to be "pinned" in memory. And I'm assuming the static TT won't "go away" (for lack of better terminology) until the class instance is first GC'ed. That last snippet is a program that has to be called in a loop, in order to see the problem. DO WHILE TRUE: RUN dkb/ReproBug/SeedLogicWorker.p. END. It is comforting to know that GC is supposed to happen in _progres processes, but I don't understand WHEN I should expect it, or if there is a way to encourage it to happen. I'm told it somehow happens synchronously but not much beyond that. I'm assuming that whenever it happens, the static TT will "go away" and prevent a critical SYSTEM ERROR.

Continue reading...

Status
Not open for further replies.