[Progress Communities] [Progress OpenEdge ABL] Forum Post: RE: Clarification about one of the load-balancing options in the PASOE documentation

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

dbeavon

I'd love to hear if anyone has tried load-balancing for PASOE. In particular I'm curious about a strategy that would use cookie insertion, similar to the amazon ELB. It isn't clear to me if this should work, based on my reading. The problem is that there are several transports in PASOE, and different types of clients for the APSV transport (we use .net openclients). I'm not sure what the support matrix would look like, after taking these variables into account. There are some places in the documentation where it appears we will not be able to use load-balancing (ie. this link seems to say .Net openclients aren't supported for HTTP sessions). I would tend to doubt this; perhaps the docs are outdated. OpenEdge 11.7 Documentation "Note: If you want to use HTTP sessions, the ABL client must be OpenEdge 11.6 or a later release. Open Clients (.NET and JAVA) are not supported ." But there are other places that sound a lot more promising. Here is a place where I'm hoping it says HTTP-based load-balancing will work for APSV (and .Net openclients?) So long as they are using HTTP sessions. Progress KB - PASOE with load balancing getting error Communication layer message: General Error: 9998. (7175) "In 11.6 and later load balancing is supported for all transports , however, if load balancing is needed for the APSV transport then the load balancer must be configured to use sticky sessions." It would be nice to hear from someone who actually has first-hand experience with this. Otherwise we will be experimenting by trial-and-error and could waste a day or two...

Continue reading...

Status
Not open for further replies.