[Progress Communities] [Progress OpenEdge ABL] Forum Post: RE: A hundred million rows?

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Dmitri Levin

> So in reality I would probably add it inactive, leave replication running, and build it online with a combination of idxfix and idxactivate. That is want I would do too. But the question is How much time it would take to run idxactivate for the 400 million row table. I have several tables over 400 million rows. And while it is not even close to Georges case, I do not think single-threaded idxactivate is possible to do in 24 or 48 hours. idxbuild on an other hand is multi-threaded and runs circles around idxactivate (and idxdix) ! As to "adding 100M pieces of data", yes SQL DDL would take some time in Oracle DDL too. I am easily adding indexes to the Oracle tables of the size much greater than we discussed here ( except George's client of course ). And IMHO, adding an index to a big table is the biggest thing that defines the difference between Progress and others (Oracle) for me. Everything else I can tolerate. I hope that the speed of idxactivate will be matching idxbuild soon! We really desperately need it!

Continue reading...

Status
Not open for further replies.