Progress and Oracle on the same RS6000 or Sun box

sid

Does anyone know any information on running an Oracle database and a Progress database on the same RS6000 or Sun box? Can they both SAFELY run together? Is there any issues that we need to be aware of? Thanx in advance.

Chris Kelleher

Administrator
Staff member
Even though it's typically easier to administer Progress and Oracle when they are the only application running on a machine, there are no problems with running both on the same machine.

sid

Thanx Chris, What I need is a reference site or a white paper that shows this working. It is required to prove to our organisation that it will definiately work or it won't.

Chris Kelleher

Administrator
Staff member
Well, I am running both Progress 9.1 and Oracle 8i on my Windows 2000 laptop without any problems... I have a few clients as well that run both databases on the same machine as well.

sid

It is hard to judge an enterprise database on a win2000 laptop with no/small number of connections.

How would you handle memory consumption? Making sure that either one does not use more than it has been allocated. Also they need to both run on a RS6000 or a sun box.