Question Progress Admin Service

proghelp2

Windows 2019 Server
Progress 9.x

We have just installed progress 9.1x on a new win 2019 server

We are able to start Progress Admin Service from Services but from Proenv the following command
does not work
proadsv start

We have tried using the following but doesn't work
proadsv -start -AdminPort 7832

Also when we start the service from Services we don't get a log file in the
Working directory [C:\Progress\WRK]

In fact the following command does not work either
"C:\Program Files\PROGRESS\bin\jvmstart" -o eventmgr -w @{WorkPath} @{JAVA\JREHOME}\bin\java -classpath @{JAVA\JRECP};@{JAVA\PROGRESSCP};@{JAVA\FATHOMCP};@{JAVA\REPLCP} @{JAVA\JVMARGS} -DInstall.Dir=@{Startup\DLC} -DWork.Dir=@{WorkPath} -Djava.jvmargs=@{JAVA\JVMARGS} -Djava.security.policy=@{JAVA\JAVAPOLICY} -Dadmsrv.jvm=@{JAVA\JREHOME}\bin\java com.progress.chimera.adminserver.AdminServerType -start -service

I have checked using echo in proadsv.bat, all the classpath entries above have their appropriate values in them.
Also the entry for Chimera is present in Window registry for these under PSC -> AdminService -> 9.1D
After pressing Enter on the proadsv or jvmstart command, nothing is returned, appears to have hung
and the same happens with
proadsv start

Any ideas ?

Last edited:

Cringer

ProgressTalk.com Moderator
Staff member
Why why why do people do this to themselves? Why would you install a Progress version that has been obsolete and unsupported for years on a brand new OS? You wouldn't use windows NT 4 anymore, so why use Progress that's so old? Progress 9 is NOT supported on Win 2019. I'm not surprised you have problems.

Cecil

19+ years progress programming and still learning.
Why why why do people do this to themselves? Why would you install a Progress version that has been obsolete and unsupported for years on a brand new OS? You wouldn't use windows NT 4 anymore, so why use Progress that's so old? Progress 9 is NOT supported on Win 2019. I'm not surprised you have problems.

'Let me start off. I agree with Cringer'.

Legacy database & application that have one function and unable to move way from.
They don't want to pay for progress licencing because there is no ROI. I have same problem I have in the organisation that I'm working for.

TomBascom

Curmudgeon
"Unable to move away from" sounds a lot like "critical application that cannot be easily replaced". The "R" in ROI is whatever business profit that irreplaceable application is supporting. Presumably that is a non-zero amount or they would just toss it in the trash. The "I" is apparently zero but it should not be because there is substantial risk to staying on ancient, obsolete and unsupported platforms. Sure, you've been lucky so far and nothing bad has happened but bad news does not age well and technical risk does not magically go down over time.

(I said that the "I" is apparently zero but, on reflection, that cannot be true because they are paying you to do *something*. Administration or development of the application it doesn't really matter. Both are more expensive and less efficient precisely because they are being executed on ancient, obsolete and unsupported software.)

Cringer

ProgressTalk.com Moderator
Staff member
And if the R is not having to pay a fortune on finding a workaround to getting it working on modern hardware/software, then it's probably worthwhile too. IMO.

MattRoy

To answer your question, I also had to move our Progress 9.x DB to something "newer" than Windows 2003. I tried with Windows Server 2019 and 2016 and failed. Finally, I successfully made it works on Windows Server 2012 R2!