Progress 8.3C on windows 2003 server

Kenmath

Hi,
Our symix system is currently running on a NT4 server with Progress 8.3c and JetForm 5.2.6.
Because I have a virtualized environement now I setup a new VM running on w2003.
I was a bit supprized that all program setup run well without any error message...
I setup everything and began to run my tests...batch, reports, printing... ... ...
Everything works fine !!
The goal now is to replace the all server by this one...
But I just wonder if this new system will work perfectly after the go live...

Any experience of anyone running Progress on a win2003 server ?
What can I do to be sure that everything will work fine ?

Thx for sharing your experience...
Best regards,
Mathieu

RealHeavyDude

Don't know anything about Symix whatsoever, but, you need to take into account the Progress 8.3c is almost 20 years old software and there is no version 8 which is supported. Even if you were on some V9 I would strongly urge you to upgrade to a more recent version of OpenEdge 10 ( taking into account that OpenEdge 11 is around the corner ).

Therefore, as this configuration is not supported by Progress you can't be sure unless you thoroughly test everything yourself.

Heavy Regards, RealHeavyDude.

RealHeavyDude

Either that or you find somebody else who is willing to take the blame.

On a note: Progress has a release cycle of about 5 years and they support the recent and the previous release. Therefore the support for version 8 has long been retired. AFAIK long before Windows 2003 server reared it's ugly head ( just kidding ... ).

Heavy Regards, RealHeavyDude.

Kenmath

Hi,
Yes maybe someone in the IT world has already done the same and is running on my same config...we never know...
Thx to you RealHeavyDude for your posts...

BR
Mathieu

darrenk

Mathieu,

So...How did this work out for you? Would be interested to find out how this process went - or did it?! :)

Darren

Jantoniopm

Actually, have 4 systems on a windows 2003 server running Progress 8.3b enterprise databases with good results, i know its very old version, but works for me, in middle stores (10 pc's and server) just on local lan. no webspeed, no internet. Saludos!

Kenmath

Hi,
Thx for your post Jantoniopm...
I think I will go for the plateform migration but I will keep the same server name...
I need to kill all NT4 server on my network...

@Jantoniopm : Can you please tell me more about your configuration ? (mutliprocessor, memory, virtual machine ?)

BR
Mathieu

Jantoniopm

@Kenmath :
Intel Core 2 Duo , 4 Gb de RAM, No virtual Machine, Windows 2003 server ... Actualization to Windows 2008 Server, 8Gb RAM. DD 500 Gb and Progress 8.3 Still Working And Terminal Server ...