Answered Progress 10.2B ODBC Savepoints?

Joe Meyer

I see that it appears as of 10.2A progress started supporting database save points which is exactly what I was hoping to use in this php application. However, when I search through the dmsql and dmsrf documentation the only thing I can find referencing a savepoint is in the error code. I'm not exactly sure how to tell the ODBC driver that I've started a new save point and what I would consider to be "normal" savepoint syntax just throws back an error message.

SQLSTATE[HY000]: General error: 0 [DataDirect][ODBC Progress OpenEdge Wire Protocol driver][OPENEDGE]Syntax error in SQL statement at or about "SAVEPOINT LEVEL1" (10713) (SQLPrepare[0] at ext\pdo_odbc\odbc_driver.c:206)

Where "LEVEL1" would be my named save point I'm attempting to create. I've also seen some reference to a "MARK Point" error but using that for the command also fails.

Anyone have any thoughts on anything I could try or confirm that this functionality really doesn't exist in the ODBC?

TheMadDBA

As far as I know (and according to that KB) Progress savepoints are internal only and are not directly supported on the SQL side. I know there is no mechanism to directly use them on the 4GL/ABL side.

Progress has very limited SQL support compared to most modern SQL databases.

Joe Meyer

Progress has very limited SQL support compared to most modern SQL databases.

<rant>
It's really most unfortunate and I continue to find more and more cases where support is lacking in progress as far as interoperability goes. It also probably doesn't help that our MRP is running on 10.2B and I can't even leverage some of the simpler SQL statements (like a limit + offset).
</rant>

I guess to work around this I'll probably just try and open another database connection to get a separate transaction.