Program freeze only the morning? Help

Hi,

We use progresse 9.1d

I don't have long experience with progress and maybe I need to do something I don't know. But I have few programs (not all) who took 5 to 30 min to open. Sometime it's ok no problem but other day it's nightmare.

I look the progress server no cpu or memory problem, nothing in progress monitor. The only thing it's maybe the hard drive fragmentation.

I have some background queue but I don't realy know them. The problem are incraising since few months.

Is someone can help thank

TheMadDBA

9.1D is ancient and unsupported so your options are a little more limited than in newer versions.....

Sounds very much like a coding issue that isn't properly indexed. Especially since it keeps increasing.

Without seeing the stats from promon R&D 2 1 when these problem programs are running and knowing a lot more about your server and client set up it is hard to guess further.

Rob Fitzpatrick

ProgressTalk.com Sponsor
Also, look at your maintenance activities.

Do you shut down the database every night? That could lead to slow performance in the morning due to a cold cache. You would likely have a higher rate of physical I/O in the morning than in the afternoon.

Do you truncate the BI file every day? That could cause program freezes if long-running transactions grow the BI file. Forward processing in the database is stalled while a new BI cluster is allocated, formatted, and inserted into the cluster ring.

Thing I know it's we backup every night, I don't know if this can restart the BD.
I'm not to familiar with BI, I know the system do something about it but I don't know what. I'm beginer in progress database.

Do you shut down the database every night? That could lead to slow performance in the morning due to a cold cache. You would likely have a higher rate of physical I/O in the morning than in the afternoon.

Do you truncate the BI file every day? That could cause program freezes if long-running transactions grow the BI file. Forward processing in the database is stalled while a new BI cluster is allocated, formatted, and inserted into the cluster ring.

Rob Fitzpatrick

ProgressTalk.com Sponsor
Thing I know it's we backup every night, I don't know if this can restart the BD.
Assuming you are using the Progress backup command (probkup), this can be done with the database online or offline. Start by checking the command or shell script that runs the nightly backup.

An offline backup looks like this:
probkup dbname backup_file_name options

An online backup looks like this:
probkup online dbname backup_file_name options

Truncating the BI file has to be done offline. The best place to look for answers is the database log file. Its name is dbname.lg and it is located in the same directory as dbname.db.

tamhas

ProgressTalk.com Sponsor
When you say "to open", do you mean the initial program startup? Is this with a Progress session already running and starting a new program or is it the initial start of a Progress session. If it is the start of the Progress session, what are the database log entries you see for the session. Do you have any session parameters, e.g., -T set to network drives.

Cringer

ProgressTalk.com Moderator
Staff member
Sounds very much like you'd benefit from buying some consultancy and training. It's very hard to help you with the little information you have provided.

Ok I test the profiler. I understand how it's work and I'll use it next time. But the profiler give me line where it's supose to be the line where part of code are executed, but the line number is'nt correct. One line I lookin is empty?

tamhas

ProgressTalk.com Sponsor
The line numbers correspond to the debug listing line numbers, i.e., with all includes and preprocessing resolved. Look up COMPILE for options.

TheMadDBA

The good doctor is correct... you must compile the code with the DEBUG-LIST option. COMPILE <program> DEBUG-LIST <somefile>.

You don't have to replace the R-Code. All you need to do is make sure you are compile the exact same code that you ran the test against.

Assuming you are using the Progress backup command (probkup), this can be done with the database online or offline. Start by checking the command or shell script that runs the nightly backup.

An offline backup looks like this:
probkup dbname backup_file_name options

An online backup looks like this:
probkup online dbname backup_file_name options

Truncating the BI file has to be done offline. The best place to look for answers is the database log file. Its name is dbname.lg and it is located in the same directory as dbname.db.

In fact program start and when we do a refresh or grab the data all freez