Printing - Windows - Any Recommendations???

andrew_knapp

Why is printing such a pain in progress/windows???

Our company has always produced prints to a text file. This was then printed straight through to the printer.

Then we re-developed under V8 GUI. Where you get the benefit of using proprint to print to page printers (laser + inkjet) you loose out when sending prints to dot matrix printers. The only driver which we have found which sort of works in windows is the "Generic Text" driver. The only problem is that even if you set the page options on the print correctly and you are printing onto continuous stationery the driver occasionally decides to remove line feeds from the print file. Trying to be too clever for its own good!!!

We are now left with the only option of bypassing proprint and printing to the port name or using some other direct method for dot matrix printers. Not a nice or clever option.

There must be a way of printing through proprint without having this problem. Any Suggestions???

Any recommendations on a cheap way to format prints in progress. What is the most popular Viper, Xprint...other???

Why hasn't Progress given us something better for printing???

xavier_bravo

Hi,

I had the same printing problems that you.

You can get a license of xPrint.
It's a very simple to use and a very powerfull
tool. You will be able to create any report without
thinking in the printer driver you will use.
The incovenient is that you will have to reprogram
your all reports.

I got a license some months ago and all my printing
troubles disapeared.

You can get more information about xPrint at
http://www.4gl.fr

Xavier.