Opening DB in Progress OpenEdge Management

ProdigyOne

I'm trying to open a .db file in OpenEdge Management and it keeps timing out

Broker startup failed for Database-6
Agent startup failed for Database-6

Any ideas? The error doesn't really tell me much

ProdigyOne

Ok here is an error I'm getting using another tool trying to open it

database has the wrong version number. (db: 8283, pro: 8365) (44)

Does that help figure this out?

RealHeavyDude

The second error you describe typically comes from running the database and the client with two different version. They need to be exactly the same version ( to the patch level ) when you access the database with a self-service client ( directly via shared memory as opposed to a remote client which access the database via TCP ) and with the database administration utilities like proutil for example. I suspect that you have two different version installed and you PROPATH setting for the client points into the "old" version.

Regarding the first error: Did you look into the log file of the database - it will tell you exactly as to why the database could not be started. The broker startup failed is way to generic to say something intelligent about it other than that: In 99% of the case where I have seen this either the path to the database was incorrect or the setting of the TCP port for the broker was incorrect. But that is just speculation. You need to look into the log file of the database - which is your best information source when something is wrong with the database.

Heavy Regards, RealHeavyDude.

cj_brandt

How many different versions of Progress are installed on the computer ?
You might need to upgrade the database you are trying to start to the version of Progress you are trying to access the db with
or
You need to update the variable settings to call the correct version of Progress when attempting to work with the database.

The error 44 means a version mismatch.

RealHeavyDude

If it is the same major version you start the database with the proserve from the newer version.

What version are that ( I am not good with the internal numbers ... )?

Heavy Regards, RealHeavyDude.