Odbc connection for Progress 9

lakicarredstar

Dear all,

I have big problem. My Progress db is V9 and i dont know does she can connection with another GUI (Java, C#,Payton..etc)?

In menu db she have "Data Server" in this tab have 4 options, one option is "ODBC Utilities", when i choose this option she open new window with much options and one options is "Create DataServer Schema". In option i can put name db but item "Code Page" i have problem i cant finish schema. In menu written is "could not find appropriate conversion table in convmap.cp".

Did is important (if db can connection) to she have this connection?

TomBascom

Curmudgeon
V9 is, of course, ancient, obsolete, unsupported, and it is criminally negligent to be running a mission critical application on it. You should upgrade.

Now that we have that out of the way...

To use a data server you need a dataserver license. You can check to see if you have such a license by running the "showcfg" utility.

Dataservers are mostly used to connect 4gl programs to non-Progress databases. That is sort of the opposite of what you seem to be looking for - which is for "another GUI" to talk to your Progress database.

If it has not already been done for you, one way to do that is to setup a SQL "broker" that allows non-4gl clients to make SQL requests of your v9 database. This could be as simple as something like:

proserve dbname -m3 -Mi 5 -Ma 2 -Mpb 2 -H localhost -S 9999 -ServerType SQL -minport 9000 -maxport 9099

Obviously the "dbname" and ports need to reflect your local needs.

You could then test that with the "sqlexp" command line tool:

sqlexp -db dbname -H localhost -S 9999 -user sysprogress -password "sysprogress"

The sysprogress user and password are the default user credentials. It is possible that they have been changed. From a security perspective I would kind of hope that they have been. If you get an error then, depending on the error, it may still be enough to demonstrate that the broker is up and running which would be a positive sign.

If the sqlexp test works then the next step is to use an external SQL tool to connect using the host, port & credentials that you settle on. You will need the Progress supplied ODBC drivers for v9. Hopefully you have those around somewhere. Or you can get them for free from Progress if you have been keeping your license in good standing.