ODBC Connection - Broker Rejects connections

limhamid

Here is my problem and i hope smeone can help me out...
Everytime i want to do an ODBC connection this error comes out [DataDirect][ODBC Progress Wire Protocol driver][OPENEDGE]Broker rejects connection.

From my understanding my parameter file have the correct calculations except the -ServerType command.
-B 1000
-n 550
-Mn 50
-Ma 10
-Mpb 50
-L 500000
-minport 35000
-maxport 36000
Questions:-
1. If we do not put in -ServerType doesnt progress acknowledge it as both 4GL and SQL server and tries to spawn the server requested?
2. If i wanted to use only one parameter file is my calculation correct?
3. Whats the detail definition of -B , -L, Mpb, -minport and - maxport?

Regards,
Me

RealHeavyDude

You don't give any information about your OpenEdge version and you give no information on how your database is started.

• Do you start the database using the Admin Service or do you start the database using the proserve command?
  • Did you set up the SQL security (SYSPROGRESS vs. credentials of the OS user account under which the database was created)?
  • Do you start a secondary login broker for the SQL engine?
Regards, RealHeavyDude.

limhamid

ah my bad..

that would be OE 10.1C version

1. starting database is by using proserve command as of below :
/<OE directory>/proserve -pf /<database directory>/<dbname.pf>

2. i dont really understand what u mean hence i think i didnt do it, the information that we supplied to the ODBC was the default user SYSPROGRESS.

3. Nope no secondary login broker cos we taught that by not using secondary broker it will take both 4GL and SQL connection. Then again we might be wrong. If so is there any information on how it really works.

Regards,
Me

RealHeavyDude

2. i dont really understand what u mean hence i think i didnt do it, the information that we supplied to the ODBC was the default user SYSPROGRESS.

The Progress database is not a SQL database in the first place and the security approaches of the 4GL and SQL world are completely different. The 4GL world follows the revoke approach whereas the SQL world follows the grant approach. That means for the SQL access to the database that if you don't grant it you you can't do it.

When you access the Progress database the first time via SQL then the database accepts only two user credentials:
  1. The credentials of the OS user account under which the database was created.
  2. The user SYSPROGRESS exists in the _User meta schema of the Progress database.
Only these two accounts have DBA privileges and you can only grant further privileges to other users under these two accounts.

3. Nope no secondary login broker cos we taught that by not using secondary broker it will take both 4GL and SQL connection. Then again we might be wrong. If so is there any information on how it really works.

Having a secondary login broker set up for the SQL access is essential because otherwise the server spooling on the servers will not work. Enter "secondary login broker" in the Progress knowledge base and you will find the information you're looking for.

HTH, RealHeavyDude.